Thursday, November 02, 2006

A creature who lives with us

I can't quite remember how this started, but my husband and I occasionally ponder how odd it is that people have dogs. I mean, there is this furry creature who lives with us. He rides in the car with us and hangs his head out the window and cries when he sees a squirrel or a cat that he wants to throttle. He eats the same thing for dinner every night (which isn't so different from my husband) and he occasionally goes into a sort of trance in which he cannot stop digging a hole in the yard or at the dog park. We look at him and say, "You are a little creature who lives with us," and he looks back at us as if to say, "Yes, now let me go outside."

Anyway, that's sort of what I feel like after having seen a little creature in my pelvis on ultrasound today. He or she was facing upward at the transponder and looks very much like a little alien. I also heard the heartbeat - a solid 160 beats per minute. The companion to this little creature stopped developing fairly recently, so there is another sac still in there. I am very pleased with the one, though, and look forward to my next appointment, which isn't for five weeks. Five weeks! I may have to rent one of those doppler things. It took the OB a while today to find the heartbeat, so I should be prepared to panic a bit, I suppose, when I'm the one trying to find it. I was greatly relieved when she did hear it, even though I had recently seen it on the ultrasound. (But you never know what can happen in an hour!)

In other news, my diet of whole chocolate milk has gotten me back up close to my normal pre-pregnancy weight (although not my post-IVF weight, but that's okay). I asked the OB about my constipation, and she suggested more water. As usual, I dissolved into demented laughter over the concept of drinking water. In my past life, I drank SO MUCH WATER that I would pee three times on a two-hour flight, and now the stuff completely repels me. Water. Ha!

6 comments:

Hopeful Mother said...

I'm so happy that you got to see your little creature on the ultrasound. How exciting! Let's just hope your little creature doesn't grow as much hair as your dog, or chase squirrels or cats...

It's great that you are back to your pre-pregnancy weight. Does that mean you are keeping food down now? That would sure be a blessing.

Thanks for your comments on my blog - they really do help. According to a voicemail message, we are still on for a 10:30 transfer tomorrow. For now, I am resisting the urge to call back to find out how the embryo looks - it's only going to make me worry more.

TLB said...

You know they say the high heartbeat usually indicates a girl.

Congrats.

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

How exciting that you got to see your little one on ultrasound. I am so happy for you.

BigP's Heather said...

YAY for Creature!!

Glad you are putting on some weight. Hope everything continues to look up from here!

Jane said...

They say that bad morning sickness means a boy, though. (Although I think when you actually have HG, all bets are off)

I totally know what you mean about it feeling like you've got a little creature in there. By your next ultrasound, it will look like an actual baby, which is the coolest thing ever. And when s/he starts to kick -- hoo boy!

Here's hoping the little one continues to thrive (and stops making his/her mama so sick!)

Emmie said...

Yay for the little creatures in your life! Fun to know that one will grow up to quickly surpass your dog in abilities.

How far along are you measuring?